Palace Clarifies Confusion Over Procession List as Princess of Wales Prioritizes Recovery
Princess Catherine’s unexpected absence from Royal Ascot on Wednesday has left many royal fans concerned, as speculation swirled following a mistaken inclusion of her name in the official event lineup.
According to new reports, Kensington Palace had informed Ascot organisers earlier in the day that the Princess of Wales would not be attending. However, an administrative oversight led to confusion when an outdated version of the procession list—featuring both Catherine and Prince William in the second carriage behind the King and Queen—was mistakenly published at midday.
“The Palace notified Royal Ascot that the Princess would not attend, but unfortunately an inaccurate version of the carriage list was issued in error after that notification,” a source told The Mail. “The correct list was then circulated.”
The mix-up required last-minute changes to the carriage arrangements. Prince William ultimately joined King Charles, Queen Camilla, and Prince Saud bin Khalid Al-Saud of Saudi Arabia in the first carriage, with Lord Soames—originally slated to ride—stepping aside. An updated list was distributed just 22 minutes after the initial error.
Royal aides were quick to reassure the public that Catherine’s absence was not cause for alarm. They emphasised that the Princess is still carefully managing her gradual return to public life following her cancer diagnosis and treatment earlier this year.
“Catherine knows she should not overdo things,” a source shared. “She is grateful that her recovery has gone well, but things have not been plain sailing. She had a busy day at Trooping the Colour at the weekend, and if she’s feeling slightly under the weather, it’s better that she takes it easy.”
While fans were disappointed not to see their beloved royal at the event, sources close to the Princess said she, too, had hoped to attend but is learning to balance health and duty. “She has to find the right balance in her schedule,” the insider added.
Princess Catherine underwent abdominal surgery in January 2024, during which cancer was discovered. Following preventive chemotherapy, she is now in remission and is expected to continue easing back into her royal role with caution and care.